Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Little Man's Birthday Party

Seriously, how adorable are these invites? Little Man LOVES trucks! So his birthday party theme is Trucks.
How did I do this? Well, I searched online for pictures of trucks. Then I cut out the picture into smaller shapes. I used that as a template for the truck, then after cutting out each piece I taped them together. I used a eyelet on the back and poked a paper fastener through the eyelet so the dump truck would be two pieces. Then I added the white behind the back end so I can write the party details.
Yeah, it's probably a bit much for his first birthday party, but he's only having one friend so I only had to make 2 (one for friend and one for scrapbook, if I'm putting in this much work I'm going to preserve the memory!)

I made Little Man and his Little Friend each one of these cute little balls (with truck themed fabric of course!) Princess stuffed them and added the little bells. Usually the boys love balls, but they really didn't care, and of course they wouldn't, it was something I had over thought. I should have just done nothing.
To get your own pattern for these balls go to:
http://www.purlbee.com/fabric-beach-balls/

Oh, and did I mention that the Little Friend is allergic to nuts, eggs, dairy, and wheat. Yep, so I tried a recipe, and instead of using flour I used rice cereal, well, that doesn't work AT ALL, it ended up a big ol' mess. Don't know if you can tell in the photo but it's a sloppy mess. So I got to run to the store and get some real rice flour. My husband was awesome and found so nut free, gluten free, egg free, dairy free frosting. It was not like regular frosting at all. It was more the consistency of honey. Plus, I'm pretty sure there was something wrong with it. There was a hard layer of white stuff on the top, we ended up melting it all back together and beating it. I should have just made it from scratch. Oh well, you live and learn, right? Now I know better for next year.
And I know he won't remember any of this and someday he'll tell me I never did anything for him, but I'll have it scrap booked! Ha, jokes on them!
Linking up to Sew Can Do

4 comments:

  1. I had a friend that was allergic to what seemed like everything. For him we used cool-whip as frosting and he used frozen cool-whip as ice cream too. I don't know if that would be an option for the next time but thought I'd throw it out there just in case. And, no, you can't tell from the picture that it was a mess. Looks good to me. lol Love the dump truck and the balls. Job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the idea. I'll have to pass that on to his family, they are always looking for new things he can actually eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the beach balls. I am considering making some as gifts. I was wondering if you ever washed them. Did they survive? Did they dry? Thanks in advance for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Helen- Yes, I have washed them and they've come out fine. I'm a big fan of the washing machine because my kids BOTH had acid reflux, my little man still has it, so EVERYTHING has to be washable. They are also dryer safe. Just make sure you have enough stuffing in them. If you don't stuff them well, they'll end up all droopy.

    ReplyDelete

Remember the Golden Rule!